Cost of living in Grenada is higher than Amy Winehouse in St Lucia, crawling on the floor searching for alcohol, crack and Blake. Quite frankly, I do not know how people manage.
Transportation has skyrocketed. A one hour trip from my tiny village to the town of St. George’s in a cramped minibus stuffed between the fat legs of and a bucket of fresh jacks, costs upwards one pound sterling. Taxis are rare and their prices are unfixed and often vary based on whether or not clipped English or mellifluous Grenadian pours out of the speaker’s mouth. Grocery stores selling American products are inflated to almost combustion point. Tropicana Juice for instance retails for $24 EC (6 pounds sterling). Basic items like dental floss can cost upwards $9 EC ($3US). I weep at the price of bog standard French wine, comforted sometimes by the fact that Californian Zinfandel is okay and tastes a little bit like Sauvignon Blanc. Accommodation costs are eye-watering. A hotel that would only just lick at the edges of two or three star status in Europe sells for $90US a night, with maids who moan about guests returning about second helpings of limp bacon (the cheek!) and whose lips are constantly stretched into the perpetual fiasque of kiss-teeth. These days, lunch at a fairly nondescript restaurant no longer comes with added rice, macaroni pie or potatoes as inclusive, dishes have now moved to a pay as you go model, making the average price of lunch near $20 EC.
Yet still, nubile young bodies are berobed in the latest maxidresses, with shoes, purse, beads and earrings to match, attending the latest entertainment incarnation of bingo, Fish Friday, FoodFest, dance or fete, without complaint. Japanese cars saturate narrow roads to bursting point. Hundreds of tumblers clink in rumshops every day, every hour, every minute. Local food joints burst at the seams, keeping up with orders of fried fish, stewed chicken and rice and peas, at an astonishing rate. I often wonder, where oh where does the money come from?
This is why I was glad to take a look at the recently released List of Persons in Grenada hired by the Government and their salaries (something which was kept under lock and key by the last administration). In most developed countries, the salaries of public servants are often published as public, but in small island states like Grenada, where patronage and politicisation of appointments play some part, it is interesting to see the value we accord to certain services on the island. This list is not representative, especially as a vast majority of workers are hired by the Public Service Commission whose archaic salaries and even more archaic rules seem like a particularly bad joke, especially when compared to the modernised and seemingly index linked salaries I noted.
I was shocked that quite a few people are not being paid a living wage. Caretakers of public bathrooms (do they exist in Grenada still?) are being paid $43 dollars a day, just over $800 a month. Many people are earning just over $800- $1000 a month, included a vast number of clerical workers, who made $1380 per month. It is hard to believe that as a teacher in Grenada, I did not earn much more than this and managed to save some of it. How did I do it? How can transportation costs and food be provided for within this small sum is now beyond my comprehension. If one has to pay for rent, how is this sum a fair living wage? Especially when compared against the against the $5000-$8000 salaries of senior policy advisors?
There were notable exceptions however. A driver/security officer in the Ministry of Trade was paid $2000 EC a month, almost $700 more than a Human Resource Officer and an Outreach Officer in the Ministry of Agriculture. A glaring anomaly. Nothing has changed. Like the riddling of the lists with individuals and relatives and friends of the ruling party in the administration before, the list is littered with individuals who constitute the noblesse oblige of the ruling party. The son of a Consultant to the Prime Minister. The daughter of a friend of a Trade Advisor.
The big cash, however, lies in Ambassadorial positions. A basic $59,000 p.a. salary seems minuscule when taking into account an uplift of $102,000, entertainment of $6,000, and a housing allowance of $69,000. This can also include a clothing allowance of up to $1,500. Lawyers are not doing too shabbily either. Average salaries range from $5,000 EC with an uplift to stay within the public service instead of going into private practice of up to $3,500 per month. Inducements of up to $3,000 a month and travel can also be claimed. Plus one gets to live near a beach, in good weather, every day, paying minimal taxes. It is good to know that life can be negotiated to be sweet. What is not so amusing are the starting salaries for junior doctors. After almost 7 years of training, the salary starts at a meagre $3500 with inducements of up to $1500. Comparing the time invested, and the hours worked, I am not sure that this is fair. Especially when considering that salaries of up to three times more in teaching, nursing and the professions are paid by countries such as Trinidad & Tobago and St. Maarten.
I suspect that some of the low salaries are without doubt, the result of the bloated list of workers that fill its pages. Some Ministries have over 20 Technical Workers. Doing what? I have witnessed, with my very own eyes, individuals in the Botanical Gardens pulling out crochet needles during working hours. The government has become the paterfamilias in a system that rewards wastage and does not place a premium on performance, even at the highest levels. It is true that some workers take the proverbial piss; their lunch hour is sacrosanct and dare not be messed with (get off it la
It has been reported that the Caribbean Diaspora provides a very useful safety net to cushion the blow. Their remittances of cash and food and household items go a long way towards improvement of life of Caribbean people- this is indeed admirable. However, the fact that there is some indirect welfare based on the bounty of relatives almost seems to obviate the will of government to make any lasting changes to the appointments system, and to modernise the wage structure of island states. This causes the prospect of lasting reform to fester and die.
Meanwhile, we continue to live in a land where the have- nots suffer the indignity of wages that do not allow them to break the cycle of dependency, where the job packages of senior officials are swollen by travel and inducements, where a weird system of contracts (of which I may be the beneficiary in future, let me not knock it too hard) exists alongside a dysfunctional public service, and where results-based packages are not used to incentivise senior policy workers. In other places, there would be mutiny or a strike, or some sense of uneasiness. But this, after all is, Grenada. We amble along, dress up, we do not complain. It is how it is.
(Photo from farm1.flickr- all rights reserved).

Very true article. I forgot what it was like back home.
ReplyDeleteA lot of it comes down to the fact that Grenada no longer export a lot of goods or services and therefore a much of society depend on the public sector.
A system like this can lead to there being a lack of drive to excel in the jobs that are done since there is a lot of security in working for the government.
You would, more often, hear of someone being fired from a private sector job compared to a public sector job, especially back home as the private sector is bit more stringent and major goals have to be met to ensure business survival.
The whole salary issue escapes me all the time. I just don't know how people make it but I guess they're just resilient like that.
ReplyDeleteIt's always the same in every country; the rich get richer and share the wealth with their families and colleagues.
I guess a lot of ppl just work without striking cause it's just a means of getting by and being part of society because when everyone is "poor", no one is...
Cheese ham bread! You mean I could stop fight up here to get a training contract and go back home and start with a $5000 salary! I never knew it was that grand!. When I finished college in Greenz I started a job paying $750 a month- I also had bills to pay as I lived by myself and food. OMGoodness food back then was so expensive-cant imagine now. And bus fare! I had no savings.
ReplyDeleteHowever I had a friend who managed to get a work in the bank and she was getting about 1500-1700 working in customer services! The disparity is atrocious.
Anyway I am in a dilema as to whether to return home to live and work. But to be fair I haven't considered all alternatives and your written piece shifts me a bit into perspective as to what I should be considering. Granted, I haven't been back home since I've been here.
@Aaron, the public service needs a HUGE shake up, but this MUST come with some serious investment in small enterprise. We import so much food it is a joke. Food industry and agroprocessing must see serious investment. Stop paying people little money to do nothing and train them up so that government is indeed benefiting! The salaries are indeed so small but this is only contracted wages. You would not wish to see what people get in the Public Service and even then, in the case of my relatives, they have to fight for that.
ReplyDelete@Anon, I said life can be negotiated to be sweet. Most of the people there have negotiated their contracts? If you don't have someone to fight your corner you may end up on Public Service wages which are a lot smaller :) Its Linkology to the fullest. Not even who you know, its who know you. And yup, our people do a good job considering the little they have.
The more things change the more they remain the same.
Ok, good blog...good piece. I like your writing. On the piece, much of it is true but that is also the case not just for Grenada or even the Caribbean. I should know a bit, I'm Grenadian and I live and work in another Caribbean island - trust me much of this is the same. I've worked in a few Caribbean islands - same story. Even in the US - the top dogs are paid higher - that's just the way life is. In my current job I earn significantly more than the entry level employee - when I was out of college and entry level I would have complained too. Now my argument is that I've paid my dues, worked my way up and now earn my keep.
ReplyDeleteGND aint the worst - trust me. Where I am, security people and cleaners with Govt still earn about 600 per month - in a country where salaries are generally higher and 10 and 15K - even 20K management salaries are not necessarily uncommon.
At least GND doesn't have an income tax. Here I pay up to 22% in income tax! Plus by 5% NIS. All most people n GND pay is NIS and I think - tax above 60K. Here, you pay tax at 18K (1500 per month). Last month, I paid 3100 in taxes! I dont use a bus but I spend about 640 per month on fuel - and I dont live very far from my usual rounds.
That the civil service is generally unproductive and does not demand productivity, reward based on productivity, is inefficient, apathetic, slow and bloated is a given - in any island. At least in GND, I usually get someone to answer the phone. That is not so difficult a problem to fix from a management standpoint but politically it will not happen as it will be a politically unpopular thing to do. Our govts - Caribbean govts are notoriously short-sighted often unable to see beyond 5 years - if that much.
Also, let's not diminish the effect economies will have on salaries etc. You can't compare TnT (possibly the Caribbean's strongest and most soundly built economy) to GND's nor the US VI to GND. Possibly we can compare the Winward and Leeward islands.
Oh, and these days 5000 is hardly a lot of money. A mortage on a decent house is 3000 - so there goes your 5000. After taxes - you're walking away with about 3900 - so even people who seemingly earn more face similar issues as their expense levels are higher and different.
And they still can't match shoes with bag and dress and accessories as well as the typical low-earning 700-1000 dollar person can.
Hey thank you that was extremely insightful- I have never worked elsewhere so that was really good to know that we are not the worst! Although it is weak consolation. Yes, the top dogs are paid higher but by Government, outside of the Public Service rules, on salaries like that with these added perks that are negotiated. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason. Half of those "Senior" people dont have a college degree. I kid you not.
ReplyDeleteI think any country needs to have a system of taxation- 22% is high but I pay over 40% on a portion of my salary! So go figure. 640 a month on fuel is a lot. I don't drive here because it is too expensive.
I think 5000 EC is quite a lot of cash. Thats about £1500 sterling. To build a house that would cost $3000 a month presumes that you are taking out a loan for over $350,000 (on my estimate). This means that it is over one's means. The problem is not with the salary but with what we wish to achieve with it. There is no point having only $1100 a month and having a "big house".
You raise an extremely important point. The poor dont need to worry about mortgage, bills (they dont have current), and all sorts of extraordinary expenses. They are content to spend their cash on a day to day basis. In some ways I envy them.
Keep posting!