Pages

Friday, 16 April 2010

The Face of the Immigrant is Mine



According to the quality journalistic broadsheet that is Daily Mail, the face of the immigrant is a fat, lazy, scrounging Somali woman who is awarded a six bedroom semi by the council in Chelsea, and who takes self righteous, almost religious reproductive pleasure in pushing out an Aisha every year for an additional £86 a month in benefits. The face of the immigrant is the builder Pole who works on weekends at a dirt-cheap rate and who has stolen the honest British man on the Clapham omnibus' living (irrespective of whether or not the man actually wants to make a living). The face of the immigrant is the man or woman on permanent job seeker's allowance who spends it buying trainers at JJB sports, teenage moms with gold teeth in Brixton who frequent Chicken Cottage, the Jamaican "bad-bwoy" youth in Walthamstow stabbing innocent locals, the Pakistani who refuses to speak English and whose only contribution is a good curry, the "hordes" of Bangladeshis who "swamp" the local area and reduce house prices. Well, surprise lads, the face of the immigrant is mine.

On my first impression of the UK, I did not want to live in it. Who would? It was permanently grey, sublimely murky, and unfashionably dull. I wished the Siberian winds in Cambridge could blow me back home. The weather was depressing and the stiff British upper lip contrasted starkly with the belly rolling laughter of island life. I could not get the fascination with tea- coffee was so much better. I couldn't understand why people walked so fast all the time even if they were not in a hurry. I didn't like Marmite. Or baked beans on toast. Or velour track suit bottoms. The taste, the smell, the colour and the vibrance of the Caribbean stayed with me like the memory of a good lover, they were gently pulling at my heartstrings and wooing me back. I certainly had no intention to stay. Grenada was and still is home. And certainly, New York or Miami seemed brighter, more cosmopolitan, more colourful, more fun. Europe was my adventure into culture much in the same way as backpacking around Thailand or Africa was the adventure for many British young people.
Almost ten years later, I am still here. Why? Because I was taught that success was not the birthright of any one, least of all, those who because of the lottery of birthplace feel so entitled. Britain is one of the places where I can obtain myriad opportunities and have the chance to be successful in my field and I deserve the right, as long as I am honest and hardworking citizen of the world, to prepare a better place for me and my family. British workers once flocked to the West Indies to capitalise on our sugar- they bled us dry, they congregated on the shores of India and the Far East seeking expensive spices and silks, 17% of the UK population swamped the United States for commercial opportunities in the nineteenth century. Every year, hundreds of thousands of Brits leave the UK to take up hallowed status in embassies, government, industry, around the world. They drive up house and land prices in Barbados and St. Lucia, they have changed the cultural fascia of the coastal towns of Portugal and Spain. It is for the same reason we come to Britain, with a steely glint in our eyes. Why should we let arbitrary factors like nationality and geography determine our fate and our place in the world? Just like you, we want to be where it's at. And quite frankly, I don't give a rat's arse if anyone has a problem with that.

I worked hard for my degrees and for my job and so did most of my fellow migrant workers. Whilst most students I knew got a loan to pay for the LPC, I had three part time jobs and juggled the role full time student. I spent days, if not weeks poring over job applications, proving and overproving my worth. I trained for a number of years. I poured tea and coffee for senior management. I spent hours lost in hundreds of thousands of documents. I did my time. For six years. Most immigrants I know are like me. Even those migrant workers I know who are what we would term unskilled workers and who arrived via the student or marriage route are not content to sit at home to wait on the government for a measly weekly cheque. We came here for a better life, not for an easy one. We often work jobs way below the skill and education level of that which we are qualified to do. The security guard at a law firm I know is an ACCA qualified accountant. My cousin, who has an MBA manages a shop. Sometimes, even when we succeed in finding a job, we are often paid less than British workers. Fact. We live in a country that is for the most part, not the most welcoming and discard ourselves from any hubris all because we are jealous and envious. Jealous and envious of opportunity. The money that we earn often does not belong to us, they belong to our families, our communities and we are therefore more watchful, more focused, more driven.

We are not entitled to claim benefits. We do not qualify for government assisted housing or special payment schemes to get on the housing ladder. We do not have access to student loans. We pay our fair share of taxes but have no safety net if the proverbial shit hits the fan. If we are made redundant we cannot use government funded agencies like JobCentre Plus. We are not eligible for most grants and tax allowances. In higher education we pay four times as much as home students. We pay our national insurance without complaint. We pay exorbitant "visa" fees. We work very hard and face the same challenges that you face, plus more. After saving up tooth and nail for a deposit, we are more likely to be refused credit for a home purchase. We are refused what most people take for granted- a telephone contract, a credit card, a store card, a free bank account. This seems to make no difference to the average Jack on the street. Immigration is the biggest single issue in British politics.

According to the Daily Mail, 98% of the new jobs created over the last few years were awarded, on a platter, to immigrants. The fact that this statistic is implausible and quite frankly, ridiculous did not matter to the 2,495 zealots who commented on the report and cried shame on the UK government. Equally, The British National Party, a party whose founder John Tyndall describes Mein Kampf as his Bible, foams at the teeth: non white people must absolutely not be allowed to stay, even if their parents were born on British soil, they should be regarded as "permanent guests". The BNP's immigration "policy" (if you can call it that) wishes to not only deport over 2 million illegal immigrants, but also to review all recent grants of residence and citizenship (a breach of the rule of law), to offer generous grants to persons of foreign descent who wish to leave the UK permanently, to stop all new immigration and to reject all asylum seekers who pass safe countries on their way to Britain. I knew Nick Griffin is off his rockers but if he thinks that genuine asylum seekers have a choice in where they choose to escape he is worse than I thought- a crazy idiot. What is scary is that the BNP appears to be appealing to lots of voters. How exactly do they intend to execute this neo-Nazi campaign to keep the bloodstock of Britain pure? Because for sure, this small group of Britons who think like this would not have a chance in hell of rounding up us black people on the streets of Peckham, Brixton, Lewisham and Catford. In no uncertain terms: we will get them before they get us.

Even the ones who were once regarded as moderate are up in arms. The Tories are vituperative and wish to entice potential BNP voters with their rhetoric. Immigration is out of control. Britain is being swamped. Uncontrolled immigration is leading to higher crime rates. It is a strain on the demand for more housing. The environment is suffering. Educational standards are being compromised. Immigrants drive down wages. Britain is suffering higher unemployment. There is a loss of British identity, a breakdown in community spirit. Immigration, it is alleged even causes higher council taxes, long hospital waiting lists, a shortage of council homes, and in general, wait for it, higher levels of stress and unhappiness. In the last election it was set out in no uncertain terms "Are you thinking what we're thinking?" In short, let's Blame The Immigrant for Everything. Jay Leno joked that the problem with immigration is not new and that the Indians in the United States had a short term name for it “white people” but on a more serious note, as Margaret Mead an American writer explained: “Society is very like a fish society. . . . Among certain species of fish, the only thing which determines order of dominance is length of time in the fishbowl. The oldest resident picks on the newest resident, and if the newest resident is removed to a new bowl, he, as oldest resident, will pick on the newcomers”. It was telling that the first question in the first Prime Ministerial debate was “What formula would you use to assure a clear working immigration policy?”

David Cameron promises to drive immigration down to tens of thousands and to place limits on the numbers of non EU migrants. That means I, and the other non EU graduates who are in law, investment banking, and medicine will have a tougher time of it, for no reason at all, even though our fields need the best individuals, irrespective of nationality. With respect, Tory Boy, we are not the ones that you need to target. Under European regulations, EU job seekers need to leave the UK if they do not find a job within three months. This is very scarcely utilised. Surely, it is a waste of resources to kick out functioning contributing members of the British economy? He then proposes tightening the belt around the already tight student visa system which will more than likely cause it to implode. Your universities already cannot function without our overinflated fees because the government refuses to award more funding to higher education. He then suggests English language tests for persons who marry British citizens. What is it with the Tory party and marriage? If I wish to marry a person who cannot speak English I think I have a constitutional right to do so. His backwards politics are certainly out of touch with the proletariat viewpoints (maybe in touch with his Eton alumni?) and probably only looks not out of place in his Royal Reader style manifesto. Him emphasising that he spoke to a 40 year old black man- he did not mention race in any of his other anecdotes- demonstrated the mindset of the Tories. We are always the “others”.

Nick Clegg, in the just concluded debate, appeared almost Obama inspired. Campaigning on fairness, and a change in the status quo, he was real and refreshing. The Lib Dem’s immigration policy appears fair and workable. They wish to reintroduce exit checks so that Britain can have a handle on who are leaving. Fair enough. They wish to accord citizenship to families residing in Britain and living in the paperless exploitative limboland for over 10 years. Fair enough. They also wish to improve the National Border Force. Fair enough. He then wishes to introduce a third element to the current points based system where migrant workers would only be allowed to enter in areas where there is a shortage. On first glance, this system appears fair but from a pure selfish point of view, it is here I depart with Nick- he seems to be penalising the City and workers like me.


Labour, because of their experience probably have the most detailed policy on the issue. My score is Must Improve. Their recent reform of the points system was decried as too harsh so the 1 April revision has succeeded in ensuring that Britain continues to retain the best and the brightest. Gordon closed the bogus colleges that gave student visa beneficiaries a bad name and he took action against rogue employers- the precise persons against which action should have been taken. I have concerns about the Migration Impacts Fund, which is no more than a tax by stealth. Labour’s reliance on ID cards to prove identity of foreigners also has an aura of the Deep South about it. Otherwise, electronic improvement of Border Controls seems fair.

It was heartening to see both Brown and Clegg dismiss Cameron's cap on immigration as unworkable. Talent would inevitably be stifled. Statistics issued by the BBC clearly show that Britain needs migrant workers. At the top end of international law and finance, people who can dialogue in different languages and across different cultures are the lifeblood of the industry. Migrants are needed to prop up the construction industry especially with the advent of large projects in London like Crossrail and the Olympics. The fruit picking industry would not survive without the Poles, who pick fruits in summer on British farms for low wages- jobs Britons feel entitled enough not to want to do. British people are not the ones doing catering, childcare and cleaning. The NHS stands on its legs thanks to foreign workers- Indian doctors, South African nurses and Caribbean administrators. Immigrants. Even private companies like Sainsbury’s are high in praise for foreign workers- they usually have a stronger work ethic. This is for the most part because we are more grateful. Vacancies in social work and counselling are also highly dependent on migrants- very few "indigenous" Brits wish to work in these highly valuable but poorly paid roles, or let’s be honest, have the inclination to pursue the qualifications necessary. For a lot of young British kids to whom I have explained my career path, the consensus is that university is "long" and a job requiring you to put in the hours is "nang". There are 7.7 million economically inactive Britain- persons who can work and who are not working, nor are they are not looking for work. This figure dwarfs the hundreds of thousands of migrants who come in every year.

Immigration is also the most sincere form of flattery. We want to stay in Britain because for the most part, this is a fair liberal-minded country. Britain is the hub of Europe; it thrives in culture and the arts. We stay because we build communities, families and friends. We stay because we grow to respect and love this way of life. How much greater would Great Britian be it would be if the British would overcome their fears. We are here to build not to destroy, to add not to subtract.

As Jean Jacques Rousseau said:

"The first man who, having enclosed a piece of ground, bethought himself of saying, This is mine, and found people simple enough to believe him, was the real founder of civil society. From how many crimes, wars, and murders, from how many horrors and misfortunes might not anyone have saved mankind, by pulling up the stakes, or filling up the ditch, and crying to his fellows, “Beware of listening to this impostor; you are undone if you once forget that the fruits of the earth belong to us all, and the earth itself to nobody.”

11 comments:

  1. Another great post, I am enjoying your blog very much! How the Mail had the gall to publish such a ludicrous statistic as 98% of new jobs going to immigrants I don't know, as you'd hope anyone with half a brain would know that could not be possibly true. I'd like to think that if we all ignore the Mail and rags of that ilk they will go away, but sadly they have large influence in Britain, so good on you for taking the time to rebut their ridiculous claims.
    I think it's worth pointing out that the Tories have campaigned on anti-immigration rhetoric in a major way in the recent past on more than one occasion, and it seemed to make little difference. The party responsible for the "flooding in" of immigrants these past 13 years still won the last 3 elections by a landslide, so I think the British people are less immigrant-phobic than the right wing media like to portray. However, things could be different this time in light of the economy, as immigrants have historically always made an easy scapegoat.
    I think we all have to acknowledge that immigration has its pros and cons, like anything. I agree that there are many benefits to immigration and that it has enriched life in the UK in so many ways. There is a point to be made about services being put under strain though - for example primary schools where English is a second language or barely spoken by many children, putting teachers under huge strain and making learning harder for all concerned.
    It's true that many "indigenous" Brits have become dependent on the welfare state and are reluctant to go for low paid jobs. But I'd be wary of pointing towards any inherent laziness as much as I'd argue against the old stereotype of lazy West Indians in Britain (of which the author of this blog is definitely not one!). The reasons behind the creation of those millions of British NEETs are complex and mostly related to government policy failures, which ironically have driven up the need for immigration even more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kima

    The view towards immigration is sometimes so infuriating. As you correctly stated the face is a lot more diverse and reputable than what the media loves to portray and it is angering to hard working migrants who toil paying twice for service, contributing equally to taxes, accepting meekly omission for otherwise well deserved merit based scholarships, grants, funds, opportunities, while maintaining a positve attitude. The history of European immigrations differs a bit from that of the US where all the policy makers of today were geenrally migrant themselves a few generations ago but now turn up their noses and shiver in fear at the implications of letting others beefit as they have.

    By no means are everyone on the up and up, and so frequently it is the one bad apple spoil the whole batch realities that cause difficulties for ones who are just seeking their education and professional advancement in a law abiding manner. However the blatently ignorant fear-mongering and deliberate deceptions that dominate most immigration topics is sometimes unbelievable. If the repercussions when soaked up by the uninformed were not often so drastic it would be the ideal setting for so many comedic pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Tom thanks for your comments, I am loving them. I make no excuse for being an immigration apologist, I do not intend to present a balanced argument, if I don't take my own side who will? The scales are already tipped so far the other way, all I am doing is redressing the scale.

    We have to be very careful about this so called "con". I often find that children of parents of immigrants who barely speak English often outperform their contemporaries on so many levels. There is a lot worse frustrating teachers: large class sizes, violence, apathy, no respect. I think this supposed "strain" on resources is for the most part imaginary. Britain actually needs kids because more people are delaying childbirth. No class sizes are more than 25 - in the Caribbean we were 40 and I still learned!

    I am not stereotyping these NEETS but I am afraid that a good proportion are simply laxy. Policy had indeed failed some of them but a lot of them (and yes, a lot of West Indians) are lazy. BTW statistics show Black African immigrants when settled are more likely to claim benefits.

    @Nath I think the US is the epitome of the fish society sad to say it. There is a lot of fearmongering which is the reason I felt comment to do this piece. Your points are spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Spiceness you're right that there are worse problems facing school than immigration, but I know teachers in London that have told me the sheer diversity of a single class does present problems in effective teaching. But that's not to say it's all bad, these kids grow up with a much better knowledge and understanding of other cultures than earlier generations ever did. And as an aside, class sizes in the UK used to go towards 40 (35+) in "my day" (80s/90s), and those that say New Labour have achieved nothing in education are plain wrong.
    There is laziness, yes, but I think it stems from disillusionment and alienation for the most part - the same applies to many second generation immigrants whose parents had a strong work ethic. It's the causes of this laziness or whatever you want to call it that need to be addressed, and that's something the three leaders don't talk anywhere near enough about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this post! It captured everything I have been thinking and everything I feel.

    I remember once asking someone I sat with and who worked along side me everyday - what do you think an immigrant is?

    The response was someone dirty or smelly. I said actually and immigrant is myself. A hard working individual who is trying their best to make a difference in their life. It is a person who forsakes the happiness of their homeland, to ensure they can have an easier life if not for them but for their family.

    It is amazing the images and words associated with immigration, not only in Britain but all over Europe. When society is hardest hit - the great scape goat - the immigrant is the easiest to hit. Most of us are afraid to say anything but keep our heads down and our nose clean to ensure we get by and get along with the locals.

    Apart from overall immigration issues another matter which is infuriating is the whole issue of getting a Schengen visa.

    Too many times I feel belittled and abused for wanting to take a holiday. The endless forms, the invading questions - the money hanging in the balance. All waiting for some paper pusher somewhere to determine - yes you can go to Europe, you are safe, you are worthy enough.

    The chav in the passport line who waves their passport as they stagger to their stag night with £50 in their pocket is more worthy that someone who comes from a good family, went to good schools and has never conducted any anti-social behaviour in their life.

    Being 'fair' skinned makes it easier as when I show up - the question is always - but you are not black? As if being black meant that I would be more prone to commit some form of infringement or disdain if I were to visit the continent.

    If it wasn't for my love of travel I would spit on the eurozone and say never me again.

    It is just another arbitrary effect of being born in the 'wrong place'.

    When will the indignity end - I fear only when you get a change of passport.

    The shame

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another quality blog.
    I am of the conviction that one shouldn’t try to improve on perfection, which is in essence what your piece capture about the state of immigration in Britain. However, allow me to briefly comment on the need for immigrants in ensuring that Britain is a competitive economy.
    The Tories’ plan for immigration reflect their fundamental lack of understanding on two issues: (a) the contribution migrants have made and will continue to make to the British economy in ensuring that it is moving. For instances, jobs at Heathrow Airport, albeit the lower to middle classifications, are served by at least 71% of migrant workers in one form or another. Without this critical supply of individuals who are prepared to work “unsocial-able hours”, the financial capital – London, would not be well-served or properly linked. The Tories don’t understand how the intricacies of this economy are interlinked, and frankly I don’t blame them, most never work in a real company and their future were pre-made based on the institutions which they attended. (b) Cameron is a yes man. His Party don’t have a plan, and he will continue to be reactive with the Tories’ manifesto rather than proactive, strategic and contingent.
    Given that this comment is written after the first leaders debate and quite possible influenced by the media hype about Nick Clegg and the Libdems, I nonetheless have a favourable disposition to him and value his openness in dealing with the state of affairs in Britain. Looking at him in his morning conference in Cardiff (Monday April, 19th) he looks like a man and a party with a plan. Their manifesto argument on migration is a little bit politically skewed to popular votes, yes, and you rightfully pointed that out, but who could blame them....the “City” has been the cause of the financial meltdown (according to some FT articles), but we need the City of London, no question about that. So I think with a little pressure, and given the man Vince Cable is, he understand economies and economics, they can improve on that part of their manifesto.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tom, I couldn’t agree more with your last statement. None of the leaders have really address the challenges of disadvantaged black (other race included), what they have brought before them during tours round the country are a polish audience who are told what to say. Contrast that a few of my friends on Facebook from immigrant parents who really need a culture change, which can include - “a rap” across the head or a kick up the ass, or a combination. They think that they have entitlement to free housing and social benefits as long as they push one out or get a letter from their parents saying that they “kick dem out”...this is not the elements of behavioural and cognitive culture that will help transform Britain. My neighbours, who have basic qualifications and little skill, would not work for less than £12. per hour, because they were born in this country they think that they have a natural entitlement to the best jobs without a need for up-skilling themselves. Yet, they are provided with free housing by EALING council, rapid replacement or repairs to facilities (For instance: they just had new fence fitted... I had to work 2 jobs just to pay to get mine sorted out) and I am willing to accept £9.00 p/h with 2 first class degrees. That’s the sort of signals given by governments which breathes complacency to these at the lower end of the social stratum.
    Additionally, while I have nothing against some Arts as a discipline, the education system is watering down education for the black and other immigrant fractions of the population. Stats show that despite increase in access for immigrants families to higher education, a greater proportion from these families are going on to do “water-down degrees” (The Times Higher Education), water-down versions of media, marketing, etc..or are going to university which do not command rigour and excellence. This then created a vicious cycle, and that’s the real challenge the politician must address. Not trying to penalised immigrants who are prepared to work twice as hard to improve this country, but rather get the country up to a standard where immigration will be naturally curb. People planning to move here will have pre-existing knowledge of required level they need to be in order to compete in this economy. I am no Economist, but I argue everyday with them, the challenge to the British economy is not so much unemployment, inflation, and migration, it is fairness in a procedural and transparent way.
    Yes, elements of immigration should be tackled. Fake visas and colleges, the black market for passports and diplomas, these are all fundamental and key proxy to the problem of immigration, and they should be dealt with in the most rigorous of context. It shouldn’t be a matter of where one is born but on what one is prepared to give to ensure that this country remains competitive and sustainable – using the essence of the Brundtland report juxtaposed into the immigration context to close, the challenge to the immigration elements of parties manifestos are in their ability to meet the demands and challenges of immigration in this generation without compromising the ability to meet the demands and challenges of future generations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LS I share your sentiments. The Schengen process is quite frankly demeaning- I have shared my views on Facebook about the whole interview charade (money making) and also I recently came back from Budapest where I was treated with less than equal respect. It needs its own blog post!

    Kykie, keep these insightful posts coming. I agree with you that we face significant challenges in terms of entitlement and the whole welfare state needs to be placed under critical examination. As to the watering down of degrees, it is the desire to make everything academic from washing a car to working at McDonalds- we award even things that should not be awarded in the first place. This is indeed an issue that needs to be addressed seriously.

    I agree that fairness is at the heart of ALL of these concerns.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kima as you mentioned the Schengen process I recall the annoyance and disparity of the process when I was applied for one a few years ago. I fared ok and the process was relatively routine as I either had a sympathetic interviewer or at the time there were other bigger fish to harrass. In particular a poor bewildered student who to them had the misfortune of being born in Columbia. I doubt he ever got his visa, but whatever the outcome the process was rather dispicable.

    I have conflicting views on the idea of "watering down" degrees, as I believe some of the focus needs to be put on primarily academic versus more practical disciplines. Yes there is a tendency to academize everything and reward a lot of nothing, but again it is not a black and white situation. There are many more who are now willing to pursue higher education when faced with options that offer more practical experience and career focused training. This should be applauded, as although the broader "academic and educational base" is severely stripped, the skills and thinking focused on normally add sufficient benefit.

    Additionally from a devil's advocate point of view is the "watering down" so different at times from that many prize athletes, and endowment linked "scholars" are often allowed to suit the purpose of the institutions they attend?

    ReplyDelete
  10. First on the degree point- I think the idea of a degree means that it is academic. I have no problem with awarding technical qualifications but call it something else. We have people graduating in Disposal Techniques and all kinds of craziness. We are all gifted in different ways.

    On Schengen, I was so lucky the last time I went. There was a French guy that I spoke to and he gave me a three year Schengen visa. But that is the rub- it is very arbitrary. I think they got tired of seeing me every six months. They really treat us as if we begging, from the lonnng lines outside the Embassy and everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kima babay TIME to statrt getting published tihs was grr..reat!

    ReplyDelete