“If you liked it then you shoulda put a ring on it”
I originally did not like this song. It seemed mighty smug of the Queen Bey, fresh from her holiday in St Tropez on a custom made schooner, to make such a boastful statement, after managing to get the Crown Prince of hip hop to march her down the aisle, in a wholesome white wedding staged in their luxury Manhattan penthouse (no tacky magazine deals please). Here was the girl who yes, worked hard, but had it all. A hair-raising voice, a “phat” athletic body, dance moves that would rival Glee, cookie cutter All American looks, a successful family business, hit records, a burgeoning film career, and as Kanye attested, the video of the century. Was there anything this chick did not do well? It is easy to not like Lady Beyonce- it seems like when Papa God was sharing gifts, she rushed to the front of the queue with six baskets. Who wouldn’t want to put a ring on it? Hell, I am a woman but if she asked, even I would.
It therefore seemed rich of Bey, to be telling us, stuck in our ordinary lives, where weddings require months and years of saving because of the expense, when there never is a right place and a right time because some of the family are stuck in Canada and the US and Europe and the Caribbean, where sometimes kids come and the money saved for the wedding goes towards little Junior’s nursery fees, where an engagement ring is the cost of two months’ rent on our Flatbush apartment, to hint that we should cast our long time lovers “to the left to the left’ if they weren’t putting a ring on it. “How dare she?” I thought. It’s okay for her to sing about it now she has millionaire Jay snuggled up all cosy in her million dollar bed, in her million dollar penthouse. I even noted, venomously, that even she had to wait 7 years for Hova to wife her up.
I now have second thoughts and now believe that this song is a powerful anthem, sung to address a serious socioeconomic issue that is responsible for the breakdown in family structures in the black community and especially those born of Caribbean heritage.
MSNBC ran a report "Marriage eludes high achieving black women" and from my experience, young Caribbean men do not like putting a ring on it. There is an almost sacred fear of marriage. For all intents and purposes, the outward sign of commitment (even if temporary) is to stamp one’s authority through the ritual, basic, uncluttered private ceremony of “breeding”. A Caribbean man, in the throes of passion, feeling those first few niggles of falling in love, will grunt “Girl ah want to breed yuh!” Rumple-headed young men on the block would call out to the golden apples of their eyes, declaring “If I only get this girl, ah breeding her quick quick”. Sure there are exceptions to the rule (the most noted exceptions being in the fundamentalist religious communities- Seventh Day Adventist and Pentecostal) but most Caribbean men brand their women by breeding them, not by providing a sentimental romantic ring as is done in the West, in the same way that they do not buy flowers or chocolates on Valentine’s Day but would cook their companions a traditional fish “broff” (broth) instead.
When I first moved to the UK, I found the speed with which weddings were arranged surprising. Engagements lasted a mere 6 months to 1 year as opposed to my Caribbean experience of not at all or six to eight years. I went to at least two weddings every year. In my church community in the town of Victoria, for example, we had only two weddings in ten years from regular church goers. Hundreds of children were christened. I often heard my neighbour enquire, when a wedding party floated on its way beeping in celebration, “Who is that man hanging himself?’. Unless it was a marriage to get one’s “papers” (economic citizenship marriages I call them) Caribbean men simply did not choose to get married. Getting married implied loss of liberty and therefore loss of life and symbolic death.
This is odd because the overwhelming majority of Caribbean women desire marriage (this from a study done by UNHCR) and this is also replicated in the Afro communities in the United States. The men seem to be the ones who have this latent fear of forming a permanent commitment. It may be that most of them were born into single parent homes and perhaps the single parent model is the one with which they are most familiar and may wish to subconsciously emulate. Some are perhaps scared of stepping into a role of which they have no knowledge. This does not however, explain why they cohabit very easily and sometimes cohabit over a very long period of time. I suspect that a large majority have what I call the greedy fear- the fear of giving up the millions of other beautiful women in the world, even though the woman at his side is educated, beautiful, sexy, a fantastic mother of his child or children (and his other children from other relationships), interesting, can cook and keeps a pole in the bedroom.
Some men posit that they are scared that they would be financially ruined. These are the same men who have children in four different postcodes. Fear of financial ruin has not stopped them from scattering seed. Some say they are not ready to get married but it is odd that they are ready to “breed”: breeding is an 18 year commitment. Most of them are just prevaricating, plodding along, wondering whether something better might come their way, feeling too young to give up the thrill of the chase, and as long as we let them, they are perfectly happy to graze in our fertile fields, comfortably. It’s easy to move on from one “chile muddah” to the other, not so easy to move on from a wife. In my hometown I have seen men and women living together for decades without that piece of paper. I have seen mean and women engaged in perpetuity. Very few deign to put a ring on it.
This is why I believe Single Ladies is the not the video, but the song of the decade, at least for young, upwardly mobile, single Caribbean and to a greater extent, black females. It has single handedly redefined the feminist movement- telling our men we are not waiting- catch up or else. I am not in any way saying that marriage is the ultimate destination for us all (Oprah is happily unmarried) and ten years ago I would have been one of the ones preaching how patriarchal and unnecessary it is. However, to those of us who want it and see it as a final destination, marriage shouldn’t be a prize handed out as a consolation trophy for our perseverance, for sticking around long enough. Sure, we don’t need a piece of paper to confirm giving, selfless, nurturing love. But a public and open declaration to the world, that it is no longer “me” but “us”, that you want to make me yours, and that I am now taking your name as a sign of our oneness, you promising to honour vows that you have made today unconditionally not knowing what tomorrow may bring is still the most manifest example of commitment.

I'm definitely getting married. Not scared of it but definitely want to be as good a financial provider as an emotional and physical provider before sowing my royal seeds and making a family.
ReplyDelete"Me breeder working", so I have to make sure my bank account working as well :)
Akima (am back finally) I think this article is great but I would have loved you to explore more about WHY WE(black women) DO NOT PUSH OUR MEN TO PUT A RING ON IT? This to me is the intetesting question, if a man can get it like that breed as many women and walk out and go then of course he will but why do we women put up with it?
ReplyDeleteIf we know we want to have that ring, that respect, why do we spread our legs for men who have no intention of committing to us let alone entertain the idea of having a baby with a man that already has 4 kids from 4 different women. The moment a man tells me he wants to breed me that is my cue to run, unless of course it comes with a phat diamond.
I think black women need to learn our worth, black men treat us the way we let them treat us and in as much as we have to ask why do they not like to put a ring on it we have to then question WHY do we not think we are good enough to make them put a ring on it before setting up home? I refuse to make a man my everything when i am just his disposable choice of the moment.Do we really think we are so lucky to have snagged big tyrone that we are willing to let him have it as and when he wants it just because we had to fight a million other sistas to get that 1 in a million "paid brother?" until we women adjust our mindsets then men will not wive us...even someone like beyonce waited too long,and the question has to be asked if jayz was the same age as beyonce would he have proposed to her or is she his swan song now he is hitting that 5.0, am sorry but if after 6/7 years of my time you still aint sure if am the one that you want to end your days with THAT is my answer right there.
Putting my hands together for you Aaron! One brother with sense!
ReplyDelete@Mac! Loved the comments but I think the reason I did not explore why women are not pushing for this is because I really don't believe in pushing anyone to do anything- our women already want and desire marriage, the men seem to be the ones hmming and hawing. The man that I marry should be jumping up and down saying Hallelujah he found me- that's how I found it. If you have doubts, I am not walking down that aisle.
I also have a policy of "no breeding no wedding" (please God!) and yes things happen by accident but you are right, we need to be more demanding of our menfolk and we can't make the same "mistake" (all children are blessings) four and five times. We do need to adjust our mindsets and make it known from the outset that that's what we desire and require from a relationship.
@Akima I totally agree with the above and also think your response re I don't believe in pushing anyone to do anything is the key - Its almost like we have been socialised into being so strong, so self sufficient that before a man even gets to that point of seeing a life with us we let it be known, i will be fine with or without you - and perhaps that coupled with our belief that we shouldnt have to push them leads us to resign ourselves to things and keep it moving, be strong etc when these men mess up. its equally important to make a man feel he has a role to play in the family and home, it should be a partnership and sometimes our strength is based on negating the role of our men in our lives.
ReplyDeletei noticed beyonce also said something similar back in the day, " You can't rush a man into anything – whether it's a relationship, marriage or having children," the singer, 25, says. "When he's ready, he'll let you know" suddenly right after she got married she was singing "put a ring on it" SO MAYBE she finally wised up and realised instead of expecting men to read our minds we have to speak our dreams and hopes upfront, let them know if your not looking for marriage then we cant work because that is my bottom line. when i was younger i didnt care i dated for fun fun fun but now am a little older, i date and screen for future marriage potential.
Good post, though I felt that it blamed men solely for the problem as Maccywaccy pointed out. She raised some really valid points that I ran through my mind while reading as I was waiting for your take on women's role. I also like you " don't believe in pushing anyone to do anything" but this issue is not simply about pushing anyone to doing anything.
ReplyDeleteIts about men living up to responsibility and stop being "boys" to be men.They have to be better role models to their children. I believe most men of our generation want to get married and I know this through conversations. Also I find more people of our generation are getting married than the previous one(I may be wrong). Part of the problems lies with some men feeling of inferiority if they were to marry a woman equally smart or smarter than than. This is a cultural problem where we are taught that men are better than women especially our parents generation. My father is guilty of what I would call transgression of marrying my mother years after I was born. That is why I use my mothers maiden name legally as a reminder to my father that he should have married my mother before I was born and I know it bothers him especially since I am his first born and technically a Junior.
Women play a significant role in this catastrophe because they allow it. I believe people do to you what you allow them to. And if women stand up and say "look I love you and I want to be with but if you dont want to make this permanent then I have to move on." Then men will make a decision that I dont think is forced. If he loves her he will do the right thing if he dont he will walk.
Another thing I dont understand is the women have unprotected sex and jumping from man to man and having a child for each and those children only a year apart. At the base of it all we are animals where the strong survive and the weak get screwed over.
I am one of the men who want to get married and will only do so when I am financially able to provide for a wife and children. Till then I want no children. LAst friday I was on a train from upstate NY and this woman go off in Harlem with a baby in her arms, one in a stroller and a little one following her and she looked no more than 23. Education can only make a dent on this complex issue but changing culturally accepted norms-the only way to fix this-is almost impossible.
@DOC, great comments. It is very easy and very common to blame women for things men are not doing, in the same way as if a house is dirty, people in the Caribbean will cry shame on the woman, even if the man is at home and steps over the mess!
ReplyDeleteFor some reason society dictates that it is the man who asks the woman to get married and not the other way around.Until we are ready to challenge these diktats, it is the man who shoulders the responsibility of making a "shack up" a conjugal space. I believe lots of women might want to but the reality is, sometimes telling a man to choose might mean that he walks out on the union, and in communities where women are not empowered financially and socially and where children might be involved, it may not vbe feasible to do that. So we become silent waiters.
Re women having children indiscriminately, I have a post coming up on that- we soon come.
I wish to reiterate that marriage may not be the sole family choice out there and it is certainly not a cause for pathological diagnosis! It's just that it should be open to us, and I believe our menfolk should shoulder the responsibility.
Hi Akima. Love your blog. I was never compelled to comment until now.
ReplyDeleteMy experience is very different to yours. I find that Caribbean men in New York don't get married but the men back in Trinidad have no problem jumping that broom. I believe it's a society thing. In Trinidad the family unit is more respected and relationships are not FEARED. But that respect does not exist in the U.S. Most of my friends in Trinidad (male and female) are married, yet NONE of my girlfriends in NY (except one) are married. In fact most of them are trying to find a man for a relationship, myself included. It's HARD in NY to find a man willing to be in a relationship, let alone marriage.
The last time I went to a wedding in NY was 5 years ago to a couple in their 40's. Yet I go to a baby shower every year. Whereas people are always flying down to Trinidad for a wedding. I went to a friend's wedding over there last year and this year in the summer I have two weddings in Trinidad. See what I'm talking about?
It's a soceity thing. In a place like NY where fast living is the norm, men have way too many options in women. And they're not compelled to be in a relationship nor get married so now we have this epidemic.
But I do agree with you Akima on one thing: too many black men take "breeding" as a badge of manhood and that's so twisted. Again, it's what society allows.
- Ronnie
Thank you Ronnie for your comments. I actually have seen a few people of my generation back home in Grenada get married but it is very much the minority. It is not the norm to do so before having children. So I think Trinidad might be ahead of us in that regard.
ReplyDeleteI take your point on options in the West, men tend to have "side pieces" "friends with benefits" and when you have passed that stage, girlfriend and live in woman- so they feel that they have probably made a commitment when it gets there.
Oh let me clarify. Some do have children before they get married. The difference is that my friends eventually marry. In fact one of those summer weddings I mentioned is my friend who is marrying his son's mother. The kid is 5 years old. If this were the NYC, that wedding may never happen.
ReplyDeleteThe other wedding is my cousin's, no children yet.
- Ronnie